Friday, June 18, 2010

Fargo, ND. Saturday night, 6-12-10

Coming into Fargo was all about billboards:

  • "Hunt with Your Kids"
  • "Be Grateful"
  • "Farm Help"
  • "Be Kind"
A few contradictions there, eh, what?

We entered into Everywhereville, USA. Shades of William Blake's "London." Microsoft was there, and the people we talked to had moved there for the jobs. All the houses and apartments were endless, everything laid out in great flat squares of blah.

We found the Roman Catholic place where the little Orthodox Church mission meets and then went on to Lindenwood Campground, driving up an evil strip with some nice sinage (don't you hate that word?)--and I dedicate this to Bill Martin:



The Midwest had had a lot of flooding, just as in Montana, and the Red River (which goes right by Scott's brother's house up in Winnepeg), had left a fetid, muddy mess. The bathrooms were about a quarter of a mile away. Scott will say I'm exaggerating, but when the asthma started up, that's what it felt like.


I tried to cheer myself up with some banjo, but things just kept getting worse.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/murphette/?saved=1

(I wish I could upload videos, but Blogspot is being cranky!)

Finally, just before bedtime, we ended up checking in at ER, once we could get out of the Evil Park, which had gates barring the way.

I was fine by then, the attack having subsided, just headachey. We met a nurse who had moved here from WA state and lived 100+ miles from Fargo, commuting in,again, for the job.

Sunday, we went to liturgy at the Holy Resurrection Mission and then got to know folks, including Fr. Oliver. Another parishioner, Cynthia, figured us right away as West Coast folks. Turns out she is from California but, again, in Fargo for the job and good cost of living. It was great talking with her!

No comments:

Post a Comment