Thursday, July 1, 2010

Wed. June 30: Almost Home!



I was up early, having not slept too well, relieved that it was sunny and warming up. While I love the beauty of the Lochsa, if I return it will be after bug season or better prepared!

We packed and ambled down the road a bit more until we got to the teensy town of Lowell and the beginning of people besides just the occasional fisherman or camper.

And then I finally started seeing trams! I was really excited by these the first time I saw them in 1995. I had been looking for them all along and realized that of course they're for private houses on the other side of the river, so they wouldn't be in the National Forest.

How cool would it be to have your garage on one side of the river and your house on the other, with a tram taking you back and forth? We saw a bunch of these, and I wished I could ride them. We also saw KOA type places, and just downstream of Lowell, the Goose Creek CG right on the river but with no beach. We also saw the Three Devils Picnic area with a nice big turnout and then the Syringa Lodge, where we celebrated Judy Lungren's birthday a few years back!

We saw rooster tails for sale. Is this a fishing thing? Do I want to know?

Gutbust
This is another word of ours. Today we just kept going. Easy driving on Hwy 12 through Lewiston, Clarkson (yay, in WA! and a lot nicer if I do say so), Walla Walla, Tri Cities (big fancy grocery store in an Anywhereville stip mall), Yakima, White Pass (fond memories for me from the wonderful Simco music gathering), the amazing Rimrock Lake, Riffe Lake, and we're coming into home turf at last.

We had eaten way too much junk food, but we had done it.

Have any of you from around here noticed that this is a banner foxglove year?

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back!

    I'll watch out for foxglove. Don't eat any.

    ReplyDelete