Monday, May 31, 2010

Gettin' Ready

Just a warm up here as I start, at last, a new travel blog! Since I can't fly or stay in most hotels (allergies, etc.), we decided to spend some of the retirement $$$ on a 13-foot Scamp trailer. They're tough to find used, and even the ones that came up (a few thousand miles away) on Craigslist cost around 5K. Brand new, ours is about 8K, with no stove or sink. I believe in keeping it as simple as possible!

We got to check out a Scamp that belongs to some friends of Scott's mom. It's small but has plenty of room for us and the dog. Yes, T-Lou is coming; even if we could afford to send him to Dog Townsend, he'd go psycho on us as he did last time. We got a call from them telling us he was having separation anxiety--he was yipping and carrying on. Hey, we know how to mess up our doggie!

So the big deal tomorrow is that Vanita (yes, my faithful '99 Sienna, best car ever!) is getting her little buns detailed. I've never had a car detailed, but Lyle down the street does this and since he is chemically sensitive like moi, he is going to make it safe. On the way out we, or at least I, will be sleeping in the van. With all our stuff for a month, this should be interesting.

However, of course, the main point of this trip is to visit our darling grandchild AVERY and her parents, Kim and Phil! Otherwise, I'm not sure you could get me to Nashville.


The really interesting part will be getting everything graded on the road. We're leaving during the last week of two classes and the second week of one class. The online teacher never rests.

We're bringing our instruments, I'm bringing the stack of New Yorkers and Old-Time Heralds too. Scott is probably bringing a ton of boat books. He's working on his boat right now to feel better about leaving it behind. And I'd better go grade. More soon!

9 comments:

  1. Joanna and I----she is The Missus', you know---just got back from Folklife. We saw two yng girls playing the violin and I said something to a woman who turned out to be the mother of one of them. I suggested she take her daughter to Wintergrass....and she said her husbands brother and his wife went to Wintergrass. You have the picture yet? It was Scott's brother. And you haven't taken them to Wintergrass yet?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great trip! Boy, your little granddaughter is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are super excited for you to come out here in Splashville! take lots of road pics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Dale: We heard about it! We plan to be there for our 20th anniversary next year!
    @Scott: Thanks!
    @Phil: Will do, and it's pretty Splashville here these days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see that your second toe is longer than your big toe; there's some symbolic meaning behind that, unrecalled at present.

    Are you bringing the New Yorkers back with you?....

    And what day are you actually hitting the high road? Need to say "happy trails".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm, I guess I'd better send 'em to you, G! We're off Tuesday next! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay! so glad you're blogging the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We'll miss you in beautiful PT... see you at Fiddle Tunes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When do we get to see pictures of the Scamp, for us trailer afficionados?

    ReplyDelete